Will the UK finally get a football team?

Abdul Alhazred

Will the UK finally get a football team?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:09 am

You know. Football. No not 'footer'. :P

NFL 'on track' to deliver UK-based franchise within six years as sport's fan base grows
Daily Fail
The NFL are 'on track' to deliver a permanent UK-based American football franchise within the next six years, spokesman Mark Waller has insisted.

Since 2007, London's Wembley Stadium has been home to the National Football League's International Series by hosting regular-season matches.

Jacksonville Jaguars ‒ who are owned by Shahid Khan, the Fulham owner ‒ have played a game a season there since 2013 and now a permanent move for an NFL team appears to be likely.

I'm skeptical due to the logistics of moving back and forth during regular season play. There would be 11 hour flights between some games.
Yes, that one.

chaggle

Re: Will the UK finally get a football team?

Post by chaggle » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:38 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:You know. Football. No not 'footer'. :P

NFL 'on track' to deliver UK-based franchise within six years as sport's fan base grows
Daily Fail
The NFL are 'on track' to deliver a permanent UK-based American football franchise within the next six years, spokesman Mark Waller has insisted.

Since 2007, London's Wembley Stadium has been home to the National Football League's International Series by hosting regular-season matches.

Jacksonville Jaguars ‒ who are owned by Shahid Khan, the Fulham owner ‒ have played a game a season there since 2013 and now a permanent move for an NFL team appears to be likely.

I'm skeptical due to the logistics of moving back and forth during regular season play. There would be 11 hour flights between some games.
you mean hand-egg obviously.

Great game - I love it.

But same doubts as you - logistically difficult.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:You know. Football. No not 'footer'. :P
Will never work. I've noted that as football crosses the Atlantic, it tends to become a girls game. And if girls are going to play hand-egg they would probably not be able to handle the hard knocks of the league or the union hand-egg code. Changes would have to be made for their girlish sensibilities. Probably some sort of helmet with a face guard and some sort of padded body armour. Even with that in place I doubt the fairer sex could handle up to 40 to 45 minutes of actual play. Probably best to split the game into four quarters instead of the usual two halves. Even that might not be enough. If the players are particularly girly-girlish then we might even have to allow the game to stop more regularly than that and permit unlimited substitutions for when the girls get tired or don't have the required skills for a particular phase of the game.

And with all those changes, who'd want to watch shit like that?

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:56 am

Matt wrote:
And with all those changes, who'd want to watch shit like that?
Depends... :shock:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:17 am

Why so snarky?

It's just like rugby, only not played in one's underwear.
Yes, that one.

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Why so snarky?

It's just like rugby, only not played in one's underwear.
It's rugby for people who are not tough enough to play without wearing armour and who have to take breaks every couple of minutes. It's like a tedious children's version of rugby*.

* But not as tedious as cricket, obviously.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:34 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:

* But not as tedious as cricket, obviously.
WHAT???

4th test starts tomorrow.

I shall follow every ball (well apart from most of them as I will be doing other things) but it's absolutely riveting.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:36 pm

What's with all this 'girly-girlish' stuff?! I thought the women's England football team usually did better than the men... :y

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:What's with all this 'girly-girlish' stuff?! I thought the women's England football team usually did better than the men... :y
I've never seen them play against the men.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Matt wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:What's with all this 'girly-girlish' stuff?! I thought the women's England football team usually did better than the men... :y
Touche...

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Matt wrote:
Yeah. The men would be too scared

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:51 pm

Thought I'd best check if Men v Women had been played.

http://www.inside-man.co.uk/2014/07/17/ ... -football/

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:53 am

It might be that I can't see that link because of my being in Spain. Doesn't work with a google search either... By the way, this is another one of those threads that you cannot see unless you log in for some reason. :?

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:54 am

Tinkerbell wrote:It might be that I can't see that link because of my being in Spain. Doesn't work with a google search either... By the way, this is another one of those threads that you cannot see unless you log in for some reason. :?
It's in the Silly Stuff subforum which is why you can only see it if you log in. Not quite sure why it's there... :sh

I was able to watch that video yesterday but can't today - I get a 'server error' or some such nonsense.

For info it shows a team of overweight amateur men beating a very fit looking, professional Brazilian women's team 7 - 1.

polomint38

Post by polomint38 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:50 am

chaggle wrote: For info it shows a team of overweight amateur men beating a very fit looking, professional Brazilian women's team 7 - 1.
How overweight?
Slightly overweight like a sumo wrestler or as big as Bob.