Operation Archangel.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Ketchup wrote:Having just read through the whole history of this ( summarized HERE ), I am, quite frankly, at a loss to see what all the fuss is about. :con
I can't really see that any serious harm has been done to anyone by this individual, or that there is any likelihood of that situation arising either. Instead of giving this guy the satisfaction of the reaction he so obviously seeks, why not just delete him without comment - straight into the trash? Best way to deal with pathetic attention seekers like this is to ignore them. They soon get fed up. Instead, this guy is revelling in it - with people like the author of the linked blog (above) actually feeding his needs and helping to keep them alive.
He is the equivalent of the heavy-breathing telephone callers of the pre-digital/internet era .... all talk and no trousers. No reaction, no repeat.
I think that you haven't realised the extent or nature of some of his behaviour.

Hundreds of almost random individuals were getting hundreds of messages via various forms of media threatening them. Some of these people were teenagers and many were not his intended "atheist" target (scientists, pagans, friends of atheists, all got lumped in together). A 16 year old girl with a science blog getting daily "THE hanging of JANE DOE, are you feeling threatened F**KER?" messages from someone they don't know isn't just a fuss. PZ Myers got tweets from up to 25 different accounts a day (changed every day as they were blocked) threatening his wife and daughter. Some people were very frightened by his activity. And then he turned up at a conference and made a pointy finger gun gesture: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... e-exposed/

I accept that the people who have acted against him could have dealt with his harassment, but why should they? And many of his other victims were less prepared. I wonder how you'd be feeling after 6 months of your website, facebook, twitter accounts all getting daily abuse and threats of violence against you? Ignore him and he'll go away?
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

watchman
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:47 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by watchman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Ketchup...

Just Google Denis Markuze.

You'l see the extent of his "CV ?"

User avatar
Asthmatic Camel
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Ketchup, the man is dangerously unstable and malicious. While I'm not a high profile "skeptic", I have received many death threats from Markuze and, were he not half a world away, I would consider him to be a potential threat. In addition, there's all the time and bandwidth he's wasted during his 20 year campaign against those he dislikes. As has been pointed out, he's neither interested in, nor capable of, engaging in rational debate.

Thankfully, the Montreal police have confiscated all his computers, so we should be safe for a while.

User avatar
Ketchup
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:15 pm
Location: Around the bend
Contact:

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Ketchup » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Asthmatic Camel wrote:Thankfully, the Montreal police have confiscated all his computers, so we should be safe for a while.
Nothing stopping him using an internet cafe, I suppose.

I wasn't aware it had been going on for 20 years! That in itself, though, should tell that there's no real threat - if all that's occurred in all that time are words. The police are aware of who he is and if they had evidence that any real potential danger was involved they would surely have done something about it by now.

A couple of years ago we had some excitement in the small solicitor's office where I worked at the time, when undercover police held a stakeout, taking over the first floor of our building - which was a perfect vantage point to keep a watch on the internet cafe across the road from us. They had been monitoring the activities of a worldwide paedophile ring for some time and had learned that one of the ringleaders (a 50-something year old British guy) was regularly frequenting that internet cafe, operating from there and also another one in Southend, where they had another team doing the same thing. They were there for a week - and told us to come in early on the Thursday morning if we wanted to catch all the excitement, as they were planning to "go in" at 9 o'clock that morning. They had to catch him "in the act" - which they did. Brought him out in handcuffs. A similar operation was being carried out in Switzerland where they simultaneously nabbed an accomplice there. The two of them had been communicating at the time of arrest. :)
Not quite on the same scale, but I suppose if the police thought it warranted, they might do something along those lines.
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

panama
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by panama » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:54 pm


Dubious Dick
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Dubious Dick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:54 pm

While admiring the tenacityof many in continuing to pin down Mabus/Markuze, I am left to wonder what made anyone think he was a real and present danger? He may have been/be a right royal pain in the behind, and absolutely full of Nostradamus doo doo, but do we have any evidence he presented a real threat

If he had been ignored from the outset would this ever have gone as far as it did?

Seems that a huge amount of skeptical resource has been devoted to him, which may better have been targeted elsewhere?

Croydon13013
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Dubious Dick wrote:While admiring the tenacityof many in continuing to pin down Mabus/Markuze, I am left to wonder what made anyone think he was a real and present danger? He may have been/be a right royal pain in the behind, and absolutely full of Nostradamus doo doo, but do we have any evidence he presented a real threat

If he had been ignored from the outset would this ever have gone as far as it did?

Seems that a huge amount of skeptical resource has been devoted to him, which may better have been targeted elsewhere?
We discussed this on the previous page.

He turned up at an event that PZ "Dick" Myers was speaking at, having previously made death threats against Myers. At his first court case he was described as having drug related problems. PZ got tweets from up to 25 different accounts every day (changed each day as they were blocked within hours of being created) threatening his wife and daughter (he researches details of family which is why so many of us have avoided identifying ourselves for so many years). Markuze made death threats to teenage girls with science blogs, in at least one case hundreds of anonymous death threats (such as "THE hanging of JANE DOE, are you feeling threatened F**KER?"). Some people ignored him for years and it didn't stop him from continuing to threaten them, often many times a day for month after month. How would you be feeling after years of your website, facebook, twitter accounts, all getting daily abuse and threats of violence against you and family?
Asthmatic Camel wrote: While I'm not a high profile "skeptic", I have received many death threats from Markuze and, were he not half a world away, I would consider him to be a potential threat. In addition, there's all the time and bandwidth he's wasted during his 20 year campaign against those he dislikes.
It's worth noting that although Markuze lives in Canada he is English. So threats to British people should be taken just as seriously as threats to North Americans. If this religious-nut junky psycho knows where you live then we are better off making sure that he is getting treatment.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Dubious Dick
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Dubious Dick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:
Dubious Dick wrote:While admiring the tenacityof many in continuing to pin down Mabus/Markuze, I am left to wonder what made anyone think he was a real and present danger? He may have been/be a right royal pain in the behind, and absolutely full of Nostradamus doo doo, but do we have any evidence he presented a real threat

If he had been ignored from the outset would this ever have gone as far as it did?

Seems that a huge amount of skeptical resource has been devoted to him, which may better have been targeted elsewhere?
We discussed this on the previous page.

He turned up at an event that PZ "Dick" Myers was speaking at, having previously made death threats against Myers. At his first court case he was described as having drug related problems. PZ got tweets from up to 25 different accounts every day (changed each day as they were blocked within hours of being created) threatening his wife and daughter (he researches details of family which is why so many of us have avoided identifying ourselves for so many years). Markuze made death threats to teenage girls with science blogs, in at least one case hundreds of anonymous death threats (such as "THE hanging of JANE DOE, are you feeling threatened F**KER?"). Some people ignored him for years and it didn't stop him from continuing to threaten them, often many times a day for month after month. How would you be feeling after years of your website, facebook, twitter accounts, all getting daily abuse and threats of violence against you and family?
Asthmatic Camel wrote: While I'm not a high profile "skeptic", I have received many death threats from Markuze and, were he not half a world away, I would consider him to be a potential threat. In addition, there's all the time and bandwidth he's wasted during his 20 year campaign against those he dislikes.
It's worth noting that although Markuze lives in Canada he is English. So threats to British people should be taken just as seriously as threats to North Americans. If this religious-nut junky psycho knows where you live then we are better off making sure that he is getting treatment.
My apologies. As is my wont, jumped in without reading the whole thread. His sheer persistence does seem to have warranted action.

As others have said, let's just hope that this time around he does get the treatment he so clearly needs.

Having received various threats myself regarding the fake detectors campaign, my attitude has always been 'bring it on', and had I been the recipient of a Mabus/Markuze approach I would have taken the same approach. BUT, accept that is not an orthodox skeptical approach!

Just such a shame that a complete nutjob has diverted so much skeptical energy.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Markuze (or someone doing a good impersonation) is back again:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swi ... style.html

Scroll down to comment by opsarchangel2 made on 10 Feb (might get deleted).


Anyone else getting the same old stupidity again?
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Dubious Dick
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Dubious Dick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:Markuze (or someone doing a good impersonation) is back again:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swi ... style.html

Scroll down to comment by opsarchangel2 made on 10 Feb (might get deleted).


Anyone else getting the same old stupidity again?
Comment still there but lowly rated. Looks like classic Markuze and presumably in breach of latest Court orders. Assume it has been reported to Canadian authorities by those who are on the case. Seems whatever treatment he is supposed to be receiving is not working very well.

User avatar
Zep
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Zep » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Probably not working well because he isn't taking what he should, or is taking what he shouldn't.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:00 pm

Zep wrote:Probably not working well because he isn't taking what he should, or is taking what he shouldn't.
Last time he reappeared I said that it might not be him, and I was wrong, because it was Markuze. But I'll say it again anyway. It is possible that this is someone stirring it and impersonating him.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

User avatar
Asthmatic Camel
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:01 pm

We had another visit from him at skeptical community, and he is now banned. Admin's fairly confident it was him for various reasons. It's possible he's given his password for a long-standing account to an accomplice but I doubt it; he disappeared during his time in the loony bin, and again when the police confiscated his computers.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Asthmatic Camel wrote:We had another visit from him at skeptical community, and he is now banned. Admin's fairly confident it was him for various reasons. It's possible he's given his password for a long-standing account to an accomplice but I doubt it; he disappeared during his time in the loony bin, and again when the police confiscated his computers.
Yes, that's good enough. It must be him if he's using old accounts again, he doesn't have any friends as even other religious loonies despise him.

So does anyone know what the latest news is on Dennis Markuze? Obviously he has access to teh interweb again. When is he going to get the treatment he needs and be put away for a long long time?
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

User avatar
Asthmatic Camel
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Re: Operation Archangel.

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Some reports of him showing up at his other favourite haunts and emails received. He's being watched.

Post Reply