I didn't buy a poppy this year.

bindeweede
Site Admin

I didn't buy a poppy this year.

Post by bindeweede » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Not sure that this is the right place to post this, but it will do for the moment. For the first time I can remember, I have not bought a poppy this year, not because those who died for their country do not deserve to be remembered - of course not - but because the poppy seems to me to have been taken over and abused by some I dislike quite intensely and simply do not wish to be associated with. Thomas G Clark expresses his concerns much better than I could mine.
I've written before about the debasement of the poppy symbol and how the actual meaning of remembrance is gradually being subsumed under a tide of pageantry, intolerance, false-patriotism, political opportunism and empty symbolism.

The debasement of remembrance started to become obvious when "poppy fascism" began to rear its ugly head. The idea of tabloid newspapers (some of which lauded Hitler and promoted the rise of the British Union of Fascists in the 1930s) hurling abuse at TV presenters or football players for the "crime" of not wearing poppies is about as far from the spirit of remembrance as possible. We don't remember the fallen victims of war because we are compelled to under threat of character assassination in the right-wing press. We remember the fallen because we choose to.
http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk ... poppy.html

Tony.Williams

Re: I didn't buy a poppy this year.

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:09 am

Yes, it has become increasingly noticeable. The BBC doesn't seem to allow anyone on TV without a poppy. The other day there was even an item on the news about how the Beeb had attached a poppy to some soft toy "character" because of fear they'd be criticised if they didn't.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:58 am

I agree - I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable with certain aspects of this although I have bought a poppy and am wearing it (in Madeira :D ) and I probably always will.

There has been a movement in recent years to wear a white poppy - where the proceeds go to the same causes and the wearer is expressing their feelings about the fallen and their sacrifice but without the associated 'jingoism' if that's the right word.

I don't know what I think about that.

It shouldn't be necessary but as you have said - some are abusing the symbol and it's their fault.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:09 pm

chaggle wrote:There has been a movement in recent years to wear a white poppy - where the proceeds go to the same causes and the wearer is expressing their feelings about the fallen and their sacrifice but without the associated 'jingoism' if that's the right word.

I don't know what I think about that.
I'm all for the wearing of the white poppy. The idea is not so recent as you might think: http://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/index. ... BUa2e.dpuf
White Poppies have been worn in this way for over eighty years. They are distributed by the Peace Pledge Union (PPU).
In wearing White Poppies, we remember all those killed in war, all those wounded in body or mind, the millions who have been made sick or homeless by war and the families and communities torn apart. We also remember those killed or imprisoned for refusing to fight and for resisting war.

We differ from the Royal British Legion, who produce Red Poppies. The Legion says that Red Poppies are to remember only British armed forces and those who fought alongside them.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:29 am

Had no idea white poppies had been going so long.

Will continue with the red one.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con