What fallacy?

chaggle

What fallacy?

Post by chaggle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:21 pm

I have been presented with 'The EU is getting more like the USSR every day'.

I have asked how many million EU citizens have been killed and how many neighbouring countries the EU has invaded and how many political dissenters have been jailed but I fear I may be guilty of Reductio ad Absurdum by doing so.

Surely they have been guilty of perpetrating some form of fallacy by making such a claim?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Re: What fallacy?

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Who presented it, based on what evidence?

I'm not a great fan of the EU (I voted for it as the least worst option) but that is wrong in so many ways.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Just an unsupported throwaway line in a discussion with a Brecker.

The point she made was that the EU is getting like the USSR in some unspecified ways. One can assume that she sees the USSR as bad (why draw the comparison otherwise?) so by extension the EU must be bad too.

So outlining the ways in which the USSR was bad and pointing out that the EU doesn't come anywhere near those things I think is quite reasonable.

I've got in my mind that she has perpetrated a fallacy - making a comparison to something that has only superficial similarities to make a point - but I'm damned if I can place it. Something about Association fallacy or Guilt by Association. If she had said Nazi Germany instead of the USSR it would have been a Reductio ad Hitlerum.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Well if you want to get technical, it's not a "fallacy" (bad logic), but a "falsehood".
Yes, that one.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Indeed, if there is no logic to the claim then there cannot be any fallacy.

Chris Hitchens used to say “That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” Must have been one of his more restrained days as a more apt phrasing to my mind might be "That which is merely pulled from a hole can be shoved right back up there!"