"The Bitter Truth About Turmeric".

bindeweede
Site Admin

"The Bitter Truth About Turmeric".

Post by bindeweede » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:39 pm

An interesting short article.
Turmeric is a brilliant spice. It is the reason that many curries look so wonderfully colorful, as well as adding that bitter twang that is so redolent of Indian cuisine.

And, if you’ve been watching the news recently, it is apparently the newest cure for poor mood and a wonder-drug that improves memory in older people. A new study has come out apparently proving the benefits of turmeric once and for all!
For those who can't find the time, here is the author's conclusion:
Turmeric is likely worthless for human health.
Curcumin might be useful, but at the moment the jury is very much still out.
Don’t believe the hype.
https://medium.com/@gidmk/the-bitter-tr ... f9256e73c5

Matt

Re: "The Bitter Truth About Turmeric".

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:29 am

So only worth taking these supplements if your doctor has diagnosed you with a curry deficiency, and you can tell the difference between a doctor and a waiter.

chaggle

Re: "The Bitter Truth About Turmeric".

Post by chaggle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:29 am
So only worth taking these supplements if your doctor has diagnosed you with a curry deficiency, and you can tell the difference between a doctor and a waiter.
:thumb:

There is a 'popular skepticism' series on this week about food which is of mixed quality but pretty good given its target audience.

It's well worth watching and I would welcome anyone else's opinion on it. My view is that it is somewhat simplistic but that it has to be because the average viewer wouldn't understand with, or get bored with, much more depth. A particular problem is that they do basic trials and tests (which is good) but they are usually subjective, small scale (1 person), uncontrolled and unblinded - but at least they are doing them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... d=b08f17c0

Earlier this week it did turmeric (mostly pronounced tumouric :con ) and came to the conclusion it was pretty worthless.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con