Covid Vaccine issues

Tony.Williams

Re: Covid Vaccine issues

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:03 am I wouldn't normally link to The Mail but this is an interesting account of what goes on in a vaxxing centre.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... -line.html
:thumb:
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Three full days now since I had the jab and, luckily, I've had no side effects, not even a sore arm. I know of people who've suffered from a couple of days of exhaustion, various pains, headaches and slight fever. We're all different, I suppose.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

OH has no effects at all from hers yesterday.

I'm missing out on this tranche - I'm 65 in a couple of months and there's a large group of malingerers sorry vulnerable people until they get to me.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Anybody get an appointment for their 2nd dose? OH didn't.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:41 pm Anybody get an appointment for their 2nd dose? OH didn't.
I booked on-line at the central booking site. That automatically prompts you to book the second jab.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Recently published on Sky News.
UK scientists are developing a COVID vaccine with an in-built insurance against mutations in the virus.

The jab, being developed at the University of Nottingham, should still be effective even if a new variant evolves that knocks out other vaccines.

The prototype has already passed pre-clinical tests and will start trials in volunteers within weeks.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-new ... s-12217119
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tony.Williams wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:57 pm
chaggle wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:41 pm Anybody get an appointment for their 2nd dose? OH didn't.
I booked on-line at the central booking site. That automatically prompts you to book the second jab.
OH was done at the local GP centre.

According to a GP friend-of-a-friend the hubs are giving a second appointment at the time of the first vax, GP surgeries are not - they will contact you for the second appointment.

I hear a family member in North London is getting vaxxed this week - he is 57 :eek:
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... mation-war

Short and therefore somewhat superficial but nevertheless interesting and welcome programme on anti-vax and covid denial disinformation.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Seeing a lot including today on GMB about 'vaccine passports' - people saying how they would 'infringe the rights' of those who choose not to be vaccinated.

I don't get it.

How about my right to carry something that proves that I've been vaccinated?
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Relevant to the above...

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Matt

Post by Matt »

chaggle wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am Seeing a lot including today on GMB about 'vaccine passports' - people saying how they would 'infringe the rights' of those who choose not to be vaccinated.

I don't get it.

How about my right to carry something that proves that I've been vaccinated?
You could have that right, but it would be meaningless if proving you've been vaccinated had no effect. The argument isn't about the existence of vaccine certificates per se but creating classes of people with differing rights.

So for example if you had the right to go to the cinema because you have been vaccinated but I don't. Or if you had greater opportunities to earn a living than I do.

The calculus changes a little once everybody has been offered a chance to be vaccinated. Though there's people who will still be excluded. Those with allergies or the immunocompromised. There is still a good level of people taking up the offer of vaccination so by the time it's been offered to all I'd be expecting the herd immunity to have taken hold and the crisis to be in sharp decline. If that's not too optimistic then the argument for vaccine passports diminishes.

However should there be more vaccine hesitancy than I anticipate, of the vaccine proves less effective in cutting transmission than appears to be the case from the early analyses then there's a change we could reach the stage where the vaccine has been offered to everyone yet covid remains a serious problem.

Now it could be suggested that those with a medical reason for not being vaccinated might be entitled to enjoy the same rights as the vaccinated and that the vaccine hesitant might be encouraged towards vaccination through these means. I'm not certain that's the case. Human behavior can be fickle and pushing people in one direction can sometimes lead them to push back harder. The covid threat might still be reduced in such circumstances by restricting the rights of those who choose to be vaccinated though it would also drive a market for fake certificates and exemptions and would only be effective if thoroughly policed in a manner that would raise the hackles of anyone concerned with the civil liberties slippery slope.

Referring to the video above I find it galling that my side of the argument should be represented by such a badly informed person spreading dangerous and debunked misinformation. I have no love for the anti vaxxers or the bullshit artist spreading nonsense from the ironically named "Covid Recovery Group" who seem hell bent on prolonging the pandemic. However I would focus my ire on those who spread the lies rather than those who believe them. Introducing a vaccine certificate to this mix will only add the persecuted martyr to their narratives and risk driving more people to their cause. Doing so before we had the opportunity to offer the vaccine to all people would likely exacerbate these effects in my opinion.

The argument about requiring vaccine certificates for certain foreign travel does give me pause. However I have to suggest the the effects of removing a small part of the globe as a travel destination are not proportionate with restricting opportunities for socializing and employment in our native lands.

Those are my thoughts anyway. I've nothing against holding anti vaxxers accountable for the way their "personal decision" affects other people; I just can't be confident that vaccine passports aren't one of those occasions where a simple solution to a complex problem explodes with unintended consequences and ends up making matters worse.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Such topics tend to be dominated by covid these days, but I seem to recall reading, in the pre-covid era, that a refusal to get vaccinated for some serious childhood ailments had led in some places (not in the UK) to a refusal to allow such children into schools. Discuss...
Matt

Post by Matt »

yes indeed. I did read about that and the the small industry it spawned in religious exemption certificates. One of the reasons I doubt that vaccine passports would be guaranteed to have the intended effect.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tomorrow morning at Ashton Gate!!! :yay
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Interesting morning yesterday at Ashton Gate.

The whole of the concourse under one stand is devoted to vaxxing.

There must be 30 cubicles each with two staff - a clerk and a jabber. So that's 60 and there must have been another 40 or so others - security, helpers, guides, check-in and so on.

And there was me.

I suppose there could have been some more in the cubicles getting done but not many.

It was a Sunday and the first day of the 60 - 65 age group (we only noticed the day before and booked in online) so that might explain why it was so quiet.

I would imagine it could get through hundreds per hour at full bore.

Had a bad night's sleep last night (I'm not a great sleeper but it was worse than usual) and today I feel tired, achy, slightly unwell and have a slight headache.

Not too bad.

ETA - Oxford variety.